Stage 2 LRT is now going to extend to Moodie Drive, beyond Bayshore Station as part of the original construction of Western LRT. Please read today's exciting update about the LRT extension.
After much work over the past several years with our City's LRT team, Chair of the Transit Commission Stephen Blais, Chair of the Transportation Committee Keith Egli, and Mayor Jim Watson, we are pleased to report that we are proposing, as part of the stage 2 LRT plan, a further extension west to Moodie Drive opening with the second stage of light rail in 2023, just 6 years from now.
The benefits of this extension include:
- A Better experience for transit riders, both local and commuter at the Bayshore Station
- A more compact Bayshore Station, that better respects the communities of Accora Village and Creek's End lane
- Improved opportunities for noise barriers, to further insulate the neighbourhoods of Crystal Beach/Lakeview, and Creeks End lane.
- The extension will decrease the number of bus trips between Moodie and Bayshore stations and replace them with quieter electrically powered LRT vehicles
- A rail bridge over Holly Acres road will eliminate the need for additional buses to cross this well-used community roadway
- The rail bridge will mean a safer Holly Acres road experience for all road users, drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians
- The possibility of improved access to Wesley Clover Parks by rail
Additional details can be found on the City of Ottawa website and stay tuned for an upcoming public consultation in mid-March.
Finally, please let us know if you would like to be kept in the loop as this project progresses.