Excellent work by my colleague Councillor Egli on Nelson House. Great support from - Minister Jaczek, Minister Duclos, MP Vandenbeld, and Minister Chiarelli.
- The governments of Canada and Ontario contributed $5.3 million to Nelson House.
- Nelson House serves approximately 120 women and children each year.
- The existing 15-bed Nelson House shelter will be replaced with a new, 10,000 square foot, 20-bed facility that is accessible and provides a private, quiet and supportive space for women and their children.
- The new facility will be more than twice the size of the existing facility and allow for activities, meetings, and improved and expanded on-site services.
- These additional beds in the City of Ottawa will result in fewer women and children having to access less than ideal arrangements when shelters like Nelson House are at capacity.